Thursday 9 October 2008

Biker Build-off Baghdad Style

I can't believe an Iraqi would throw this away! This is great stuff!

Ok, next year, Katie and I are moving to Fort Carson, Colorado in Colorado Springs. Maybe it's not the mountain bike capital of the world, but could be. So Katie and I want to do some serious mountain biking when we get there. A serious mountain bike is serious cash. To get a good mountain bike with all the quality bells and whistles you are going to spend about $3500 at the local bicycle shop. You could get the same quality bike at a fraction of the cost if you had countless hours to comb the internet and look at bargain deals on components and looked for second hand frames and wheels that still have some life in them. Of course you'd have to spend hours doing research on what components are the right ones to get and to get them cheap, you'd have to spend countless hours hoping to win them in an eBay auction or find a steal on craigslist. Most people don't have the time to build a $3500, full-suspension, disk-brake, Shimano XTR derailers, and carbon fibered seat posted all-mountain, mountain bike, BUT I DO! HELP ME JOHN KERRY, I'M STUCK IN IRAQ!!!

So there you have it, I've thrown my hat in the ring of the first "build a $3500 mountain bike for almost nothing" (I'm thinking for around $800-$1000) biker build-off. I invite anybody else to rise to the challenge and build a bike. I warn you, though, today on my cordon and knock mission with the Iraqis I found this awesome full suspension frame while searching for weapons in a trash pile. It cost me nothing so I've already saved $900 for what I'd have spent on a good frame. Watch out! I'm on a roll.

5 comments:

Jen said...

come on isn't there something you could be blowing up???
Great now my brother has turned into a dumpster diver!! I guess the economy is hurting you over there too that you now have to dig through trash!! just don't start eating anything you find!!!!!!!!
can't wait to see the finished product!

Lisa said...

Here's the problem I have. If I built a bike I would have to ride it and riding it would be considered a workout and I just don't do that.

JB said...

Cant wait to see it.

Katie said...

hehe i love the photo!! :)

David Yee said...

dag yo..you have no idea what you are talking about. I bought a sweet huffy at walmart for like $85. I'm sure that's just as good.