Saturday 6 June 2009

Holy Cow! It's June Already?

Sorry for not doing this more. I can't believe that my last post was 27 November. Time flies when you are stuck in the desert hunting down insurgents with the Iraqis. I have had time to work out and I'm thankful for that. I have been running regularly both outside around the FOB (Forward Operating Base) and on the treadmill when it's dusty outside. My bike got crushed by a safe when my team made our last move, so I've been forced to ride on the exercise bike. I actually got to swim last week while I was at BIAP (Baghdad International Airport). There's a pool at Camp Victory and I swam for 2 1/2 hours. I just kept going back and forth switching from freestyle to breaststroke and back. I felt great. The water was perfect. I was worried about my swim coming up in August, but after last week, I know that I will be alright. Swimming is like riding a bike, except you're in the water and you don't need a bike.

I already signed up for my first race when I get back. I'm doing the Xterra Indian Peaks Offroad Triathlon 1 August up in Nederland, Colorado. It's northwest of Boulder. I can't wait. The water is supposed to be 50 degrees, in August! I'm glad I bought a wetsuit. I was going to do an Olympic length Tri in Denver, but there is a Century ride in Boulder a week later and I am training up for that. It's the Colorado Tour de Cure. I'm raising money for Diabetes research. It will be my first century, but I'm getting a new bike when I get back to Houston, so I'm pretty stoked. I will try and find some tri’s in September, October timeframe, but I have to keep my schedule open for Gavin. He should be popping out about that time. I'd like to do the P.F. Chang Rock n Roll Marathon in Phoenix in January with my family, we will see. I also wanted to do the New Orleans Half Ironman in April. Hopefully, I'm not in Afghanistan by then. We will see. If I am, I will be better at blogging. I will change it to Kandahar Multisport, though. High altitude training; you can't beat it. LOL.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I say do the PF Changs!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

So what your saying is that swimming and riding a bike are exactly the same except that they are completely different. I get it. JK I say do the PF Chang's in Phx and we can meet you guys there!I won't be running of course but I can support you guys!

JB said...

Glad to see you blogging again. I just looked at your blog yesterday and thought it had been a while. Look forward to having you home.

Jen said...

oh come on Lisa you should do it too!!! you can do it!!!