Sunday 21 September 2008

A year in empathy

So I don't consider myself political. I'm in the military and I will follow whatever commander-in-chief is elected. The last time I voted was in 1992, and I was immature and uneducated on government and international affairs. I voted for Ross Parot, because at the time I didn't like either of the other two candidates. Since then, I saw how futile my vote was and knew I was still a patriot and believed in my country, and it didn't matter who was president, I would still proudly serve my country. I was fine with being an instrument of government, not a mercenary, but a soldier, paid to protect my country's vital interests.Then I came to Iraq for the third time. I am an advisor for the Iraqi National Police (INP), and I work daily to help build their capability and improve the capacity of the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF). I help them integrate with the local governance and try to influence them to develop their civil military relationships. I work on making them a legitimate police force responsible for providing security to the local populace. They are doing this, and they are doing it with almost nothing. Yet, they are gaining the trust of the people and marginalizing the terrorists that live among them. Right now, Iraq is a struggling democracy that is plagued with corruption and sectarian agendas, but yet at the same time there are true patriots that are non-secular. These individuals want a better Iraq for their children, and they want their friends and family to return to safe neighborhoods and have a normal life. I talk to frustrated Iraqis daily about how they are frustrated with their government. I talk to Sunnis who tell me how much better it was before the US invaded and removed Saddam from power. It was maybe better for them, but not everybody. I tell them that it took years for our constitution to finally be agreed upon, and it is still debated over today. Then I tell them that they have the right to vote now, and that they have a say in what direction their government should go. They say "I know, I risked my life at the polling station to be heard." Many Iraqis lost their lives at polling stations at the hands of insurgents trying to intimidate them and keep them from voting. Many more were beaten or their families where threatened because they were trying to give democracy a chance in their county.I have interpreters that are serving with US forces because they want to do their part to make their country, Iraq, better. These "terps" are unarmed and they risk certain death when they return home if their true occupation is discovered. They risk harm to their families as well, because "they are traitors" and work with the US forces. My own life may be at risk, but I don't have to worry about my family or my children being targeted because of my profession. These great heroes do. The National Police I work with are under the same threat. Many Shurta (Iraqi Policeman) have been assassinated because they worked for the Government of Iraq. This coming election, I am paying attention to the candidates, and I am paying attention to their positions on what is important to me. I am also aware that majority of Americans do not vote. I registered to vote this year and plan on voting absentee ballot this election. Who I vote for is not important to my point as much as the fact that this year I am voting. I am voting because many Americans gave their lives so that I could have this right. Many Iraqis are dying so that they can have this same right. So I have since changed my position on not voting, because I feel it is my duty as an American to participate in democracy.I know I said my blog would be about my workouts and training for my future triathlons, but I see how great America is and how great Iraq could be. I think that too many Americans take for granted the freedoms and the security that they enjoy. I am lucky that I was born an American and that my children were born American. If you ever thought that freedom was free, I challenge you to make it happen without a cost.

6 comments:

Katie said...

wow. you are so right. i love you. you are an amazing person and i am SO proud of you. :) just come home safe to me, k?

Jen said...

Wow! Nicely said. Of course I couldn't read it without crying!!! Thanks for all you and your men and women do so we can have those freedoms! Love you!

David Yee said...

wow...perspective

Kevin said...

Your right brother.........I am voting for the first time ever..... Things need to change.

Keep you head down and keep triiing! Its good for the soul!

Kevin

JB said...

Wow your smart. I didn't miss the meaning of your blog, but I'm impressed with your vocabulary. Nicely put.

Lisa said...

Very good post. Many people take our right to vote for granted. Most people feel that our votes are pointless. I don't necessarily disagree with that. In large part our individual votes aren't that important. However, I am a big believer in voting. It's your one chance give your opinion nationally. Besides wouldn't you feel bad if you didn't vote and your candidate lost the deciding state by one vote. (never gonna happen, but who knows)